Cultural Note: Valentine's Day and White Day

Valentine's Day has always been a special day for me.  From as far back as I can remember, my mother would always celebrate Feb 14th with my brother and I by giving us chocolates, small presents, cards, and a special V-Day breakfast.  Waking up to heart-shaped pancakes, strawberry syrup, and an early morning chocolate-high was enough to move Valentines Day near the top of my holiday list.

 Just like mom used to make.  (worldcontributer.com)

As I grew up with budding hormones, this day became much more about girlfriends and romance.  I, a man, began following the American traditions of Valentines Day by buying flowers, chocolate, dinner, ect. for my significant other just like the advertisements told me to do.  Interestingly, my Valentine's Day in Japan will be reminiscent of my childhood.  This is because in Japan, it is the women who are expected to buy presents for the men.

Japanese women browsing the chocolate selection, cash in hand. (www.slashfood.com)

That's right boys, just sit back and let the girls swoon to you with arms full of sweet, sweet chocolate.  For school girls, this is the perfect chance to let that special boy (or boys) know how you feel about them.  Even in the work place, female coworkers are supposed to give gifts to their male coworkers and bosses.  These chocolates are more of a burden for women since they are called "obligatory chocolates" or "giri-choko" and are seen as a friendly gesture, not romantic.  As with most gift giving in Japan, these treats are ridiculously priced so women can end up spending a pretty penny by the time they buy chocolates for everyone they are supposed to.

But hold on...back the truck up!  Isn't Japan the land of mutual gift giving? How can men just take, take, take without reciprocation? Well they don't anymore.  In 1978, Japan created another holiday called "White Day" in which men return the favor to the women that they like.  From what I've read, it seems like White Day is very similar to the American way of celebrating Valentines Day.  Don't worry ladies, the men are expected to give gifts 2-3 times more expensive than were given to them.  So you win out in the end.

White Day candy. (geeks.pirillo.com)

In honor of my mother's tradition I made a Valentine's Day breakfast.  However, instead of pancakes, I  made Kate and myself strawberry shakes.  When I got to work I couldn't help but be disappointed.  I'm not gonna lie, I was looking forward to getting obligatory chocolates from my female coworkers, but it never happened.  I at least thought that the head honcho of the office, Iki-san, would get something from someone.  Alas, as I stealthily scoured the office for Valentine's Day chocolate, it became clear to me that maybe it wasn't as widely celebrated as I thought.  In fact, I never even heard the word Valentine throughout the whole day...the internet lied to me! :(

To see a video about Valentine's Day in Japan, click here.

-Seth

1 Response to "Cultural Note: Valentine's Day and White Day"

  1. Unknown Says:

    Clever Japanese men. I do miss those heart shaped pancakes!

Post a Comment