One is the Loneliest Number: A Throwback to Bachelorhood

Gone are the days of wearing everything in my closet twice before doing laundry. 
Gone are the days of having to make solo journeys to the grocery store,
Of playing video games until my eyes bleed.  
Gone are those days.  
Gone are the days of leaving the bathroom door open while I pee.  
Gone are the days of mixing together any/all remnants of leftover food in an attempt to muster up a full meal.  
Gone are those pride-less days of bachelorhood.... 
Well, not quite.

Its been almost two weeks since Katie rode the big metal bird back to the land of Liberty.  She wanted to visit friends and family, but most importantly she went to celebrate the 60th birthday of her father.  She will be stateside for a month in an effort to visit everyone.  Coincidentally, the same plane that took Katie to LAX also brought Matt's mother, Debbie, to Japan!  This meant that the Haines' would be in and out of Tsukuba as they traveled around Japan for about 2 weeks.  


All of these changes forced me to default to bachelor mode.  Without Katie around, I quickly started cutting corners on the principles that separate humans from animals.  Suddenly I find myself adhering to my personal doctrine of minimalism.  For example, I've taken to mixing rice with anything in an effort to stretch out the leftovers Katie made long ago.  I haven't done laundry, trimmed my beard, cleaned anything (except dishes), or gone to the grocery store since my better half boarded her plane.

Before your perception of me becomes skewed by what was mentioned above, consider these key factors that have enabled me to maintain this lifestyle for two weeks.  
  • The Ninomiya House provides semi-annual cleaning services for free.  So I got my apartment professionally cleaned just days after Katie left.  
  • I've scavenged off of the Haines' since they offer me leftovers when they leave town.  Also, you would be amazed at how far a batch of stew can go when you mix it with a bunch of rice.  
  • I strategically packed my clothes when I came to Japan, which has given me two weeks of outfits.  Plus, I haven't been ashamed to wear the same things over and over again.  
Alas, this behavior cannot last indefinitely.  The laundry pile looks a little too much like Mt. Fuji and my refrigerator is cooling nothing but air at this point.  I suppose I will have to put on my big boy pants and rejoin civilized society soon...

By no means am I trying to invite you to a pity party with me as the guest of honor.  I do miss Katie a lot, but I've stayed quite busy.  After all, what does a modern 25 year old dude do in his free time?  Well, crawling back to the comforts of my pre-married life, I've taken to playing guitar, watching movies/TV, taking photographs around Japan, and old-reliable; video games.    

Here is a night shot of Doho Park.  It's very close to our apartments and probably the best park in Tsukuba.

Perhaps I'm painting a more bleak (pre-pubescent) picture than my situation necessitates.  My life isn't crumbling.  I've been working very hard at AIST and keeping up with all of my other obligations such as language class.  Katie's trip coincides quite nicely with my work schedule as I will be busy preparing for a conference in Jeju, South Korea. It is called the International Symposium on Low Carbon and Renewable Energy Technology (ISLCT).  In addition to my 20 minute presentation at ISLCT, I will also write a technical paper and submit it to the Renewable Energy science journal for publication.  If accepted, my publication in the journal would be a huge resume builder.  It will also add major credibility to the work we are doing here.  Needless to say, the upcoming conference puts more pressure on my work schedule...but in a good way. 

Promotion photos from my hotel in Jeju, South Korea

In short, there is a part of me that enjoys the carelessness associated with living alone.  However, it's already ran it's course. I'm counting down the days until Katie comes back because I miss her pretty smile.  Afterall, lets face it, I'm a better person when she is around.

Side Note: Recent sampling of unorthodox cuisine

Here is a pancake drink I've been wanting to try for a long time.  It comes out of the vending machine piping hot and tastes exactly like pancakes with syrup and butter....which is weird.  Quite honestly, I could only take a couple drinks of the stuff before dumping it down the drain.  

Tea time at work is often the perfect venue to try unique delicacies such as this.  Dumpling-esque snacks with meat inside are as common as candy bars in the U.S.  As you can see, it's as black as the deepest void of space.  The blackness its self isn't the most interesting thing, it's the ingredient that is used to make it black.  Take a second to think about what a baker might add to his bread to accomplish this...   
Reeeaaady? 
As you probably didn't guess, the company which produces these little treats adds bamboo charcoal powder into this bread!  I could actually taste a small hint of charcoal as I ate it!  Surprisingly it wasn't too bad, so I finished eating it.  It was definitely one of the most unique things I've had so far.  You can see other foods made with charcoal by going here.

-Seth

3 Response to "One is the Loneliest Number: A Throwback to Bachelorhood"

  1. Unknown Says:

    Very well done. When Katie left for an extendted period of time for the first time in our marriage I was so excited to have zero responsibility (before children). But when she left the only highlight I could muster was driving to the library at 8:00 pm only to find out it was closed. Then I just drove a massive circle in the city looking for some recreation only to find myself back at the apartment hungry, tired, and bored with no way to solve any of those. I can relate brother. What the heck were we like before spousal units.

  2. Mary Says:

    I enjoy reading your blogs.I understand what you mean about missing Katie, when dad leaves for a fishing trip it's wonderful, no cooking or cleaning, i can just sit around and do nothing, but by the next morning im counting down the minutes until his return. Love is a wonderful thing. Im sure that she is having a great time, but missing you also. Hope she gets back to you soon, don't know how much charcoal bread snacks or pancake in a can that you will be able to handle. Love and miss you bunches, One more thing "DO YOUR LAUNDRY"

  3. Seth Says:

    @ Jonce: Dude, thats one of the funniest/saddest stories I've ever heard.

    @ Mary: Haha, well don't worry. I finally did my laundry.

Post a Comment