Japanese Ads

I was going to continue chronologically, but at this point I think it might be more interesting to make a couple notes about Japanese TV and ads.

Well...in short, all of the stereotypes are accurate. When you walk into a store your eyes are immediately karate chopped by a million different colors on their advertisements. Also, about 90% of their ads have involve some sort of inanimate object with eyes and arms yelling something. Its pretty awesome actually. Below are a couple of examples.



I didn’t realize it at first, but these are both ads about keeping quiet on your phone on the train and bus. Apparently that's a problem because a lot of people like to sleep on the trains and buses (even if they are standing).

Also, many signs have English translation along with them to avoid confusion. I said avoid confusion, right? Well, sometimes it does exactly the opposite. For example, the below picture was next to the entrance of the Tokyo train. There was no vending machine.



-Seth

3 Response to "Japanese Ads"

  1. ktjean Says:

    my favorite thing when I visited Taiwan was when they put english on the signs that made absolutely no grammatical sense!! I am sure you will see a ton of that...take pictures :)

  2. Doug and Amanda Says:

    Love it! Have you ever been to Engrish.com? Same type of stuff. Now you're livin' it!

  3. Seth Says:

    Hahaha, I know. I found out about engrish.com right before I came over. Its pretty awesome to see it on a day to day basis.

Post a Comment